I'm a Bingle customer. Should I claim through Bingle, or the other party's insurance provider?

If you've been in an accident and you don't believe you are at fault, you may want to consider whether you should claim through your car insurance or the other party's insurance policy. Depending on the circumstances, there are a few things to consider:

  • Are they insured?
  • Do they want to put in a claim?
  • Does the other person's insurance company agree that their customer is at fault and they will settle the claim?

Claiming with the responsible party's insurance:

  • If you're a Bingle customer and you're in an accident but you believe you weren't at fault, you may be able to lodge a claim through the responsible party's car insurance (if they have valid insurance, of course).
  • If you can make a claim through the other person's insurance, you'll avoid paying an excess and your Bingle premiums won't be affected.

Claiming with Bingle:

If you can't or prefer not to lodge a claim through the other party's insurance, or if they don't have insurance, you can lodge your claim with us via self-service.

  • You will usually need to pay an excess, but we'll refund it if we agree you had no fault in causing the accident and you've been able to provide the details of the at fault party. The amounts of the excesses that apply to your policy are shown on your insurance schedule. For more information, please read the relevant PDS.
  • You'll need to provide the contact details of the driver who was at fault to get your excess refunded. As outlined in the section above, you will need their name, address and rego number of the vehicle(s) involved.
  • We'll cover the rest of the repair or replacement costs up to your policy limits.1
  • Keep in mind your future premiums may be impacted if you make a claim with us, even if you're not at fault. More information can be found in Bingle's Premiums, Excesses & Claims Guides.

Note, Bingle will only cover damage to your car if you hold a Comprehensive Car Insurance policy with us. If you hold Third Party Car Insurance, we can't cover damage to your car (we only cover accidental damage caused by the use of your car to other people's cars and property) – regardless of who is at fault. So, if your car is damaged in an accident, you believe you're not at fault and you only hold a Third Party Car Insurance policy with us, you may want to look into claiming through the responsible party's insurance company, if that's an option.

Can I arrange a tow truck after an accident?

If you have Comprehensive Car Insurance with us, you can arrange a tow if needed. If your car has already been towed, you can claim the reasonable cost of towing as part of your claim. Just keep your receipt.

What if my car is deemed to be written off after an accident and I'm not at fault?

If you end up making a claim via Bingle and we determine your car to be a total loss, and we haven't provided you with a new car under the 'New for Old' option we will finalise your claim by paying you a total loss payment based on your car's market value.2 If your car is financed, we'll firstly pay your credit provider what they are entitled to (less our estimate of its salvage value if they are entitled to it), and pay you whatever balance is left.

If you have New for Old as an optional extra (available on Comprehensive Car Insurance policies if your car is 3 years old or less), we will replace your car with a brand new car of the same make and model (if available) or supply you with a new car that is (in our opinion) the nearest similar available make and model to your car.

If you make a claim via the responsible party's car insurance and your car is determined to be a write off, you can discuss next steps with the relevant insurance company.

What happens if the other party was at fault and doesn't have car insurance or only has Third Party Car Insurance?

As we mentioned above in the 'Claiming with Bingle' section, if the other party doesn't have insurance, and you hold a Bingle comprehensive policy you can lodge your claim with us via self-service. Find out more here.

If the other party only has Third Party Car Insurance, you might be able to proceed with a claim through their insurance company, depending on the circumstances. Third Party Insurance policies cover damage to other people's cars and property (i.e. your damaged car) – just not their vehicle.

Need to make a claim? Find out more about our claims process.

Interested in Bingle car insurance? Learn more about Comprehensive Car Insurance and Third Party Car Insurance.

Compare Comprehensive and Third Party Car Insurance