Learner driver car insurance

Bingle covers learner drivers (people on their Ls or L plates) – there just needs to be a listed driver in the car to avoid the unlisted driver excess1.

Get a quote

Car insurance for learner drivers

Generally, from the age of 16, teenagers can apply for a learner driver permit. If they meet the requirements, they can then start learning to drive with a fully licensed driver supervising them.

If you're a parent, you probably want to make sure your child is properly insured while they are learning to drive.

Bingle makes it easy. You don't have to tell us that a learner driver is driving your car or edit your policy. You just need to have a listed driver in the car while the learner is driving, and then the L-plater will also be considered a listed driver.

If there's not a listed driver in the car, the unlisted driver excess may apply. This is important to keep in mind if a learner driver is getting driving lessons by an instructor. Update your listed drivers here.

Do I need to add my child to my policy if they are learning to drive?

  • No, you don't need to add your child to your policy while they are on their L plates.
  • Once they get their P plates or provisional license, you may want to add them to your policy as a listed driver (otherwise the unlisted driver excess may apply).
  • However, if they have their own car when they're on their P plates, generally the insurance policy should be in their name.

Will my car insurance costs go up if a learner driver is driving my car?

  • Your Bingle car insurance premium won't go up if a learner starts learning to driving in your car, as we don't require you to list learner drivers.
  • However, if there is an incident, a driver age excess may apply if the learner is under 25 years of age.

What kind of car insurance does Bingle offer learner drivers?

Bingle doesn't have a specific leaner driver car insurance product, and you don't need to add learners to your policy.

If you want your learner driver to be insured, simply take up either Comprehensive Car Insurance or Third Party Property Damage Insurance, and make sure a listed driver is in the car to avoid the unlisted driver excess.

Find out more about our car insurance products:

What excess will apply if a learner driver is involved in an incident?

Depending on the age of the learner and whether a listed driver was in the car, more than one excess may apply for learner drivers.

Here at Bingle we have three types of excess:

  • A standard excess that applies to all claims, unless otherwise stated in your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)
  • An age excess, which applies if you, or the driver using your car at the time of the incident, is under 25 years old, and
  • An unlisted driver excess which applies if the driver using your car at the time of the incident was a household member or regular driver, and who was not a listed driver on your policy. This excess will not apply to learner drivers as long as another driver listed on the policy is a passenger in your car.

Compare our Comprehensive Car Insurance and Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance to see the different options. Read the PDS to see the different excesses that may apply if you need to make a claim.

Claims Payment examples and information about Excesses can be found in the relevant Premiums, Excess and Claims Guide (PED) for that product.

Why choose Bingle?

We put you in the driver's seat.

You control your policy

24/7 online access to your policy so you can make a claim anywhere, anytime.

300+ repairers nationwide

We use the same repair network as AAMI and Suncorp Insurance, giving customers access to 300+ repairers.

Keeping you informed

Login 24/7 to see up to date repair tracking. And we'll keep you updated every step of the way by email or SMS.

No cancellation fees

You can leave any time you want, at no cost. Because we know there's nothing worse than a relationship that you just can't get out of!

Get a quote now